Saturday 28 February 2015

Speaking Kind Words

Proverbs 16:2 (ERV)
Kind words are like honey; they are easy to accept and good for your health.

Colossians 4:6(ERV)
When you talk, you should always be kind and wise. Then you will be able to answer everyone in the way you should.

Proverbs 25:11(ERV)
Saying the right thing at the right time is like a golden apple in a silver setting.

A quick search of the bible can bring up a lot of advice on how to speak kindly. Words often ignored in the name of whatever 'crusade we' are embarking on.

Harsh words often upset me, even if they weren't meant to be harsh, but just came across that way. I'm very sensitive!

But at the same time, I'm aware that my words can sometime come across as quite harsh too. If they have been received as harsh by any of my readers - I apologise - sincerely.

The problem is, the written word cannot convey the gentleness and concern in my eyes that a face to face conversation would show. In other words - what was spoken can often carry a totally different meaning to those exact same words written in an email, tweet or facebook post (Or sometimes said in a phone conversation).

Most of the time I will take great care in crafting what I want to write. I re-read things checking for things that could be misunderstood, or misconstrued as antagonistic.

But sometimes in my extreme busyness or tiredness, I will hit send hoping the recipient/social media friends will 'get' what I'm trying to say, only to find that maybe a few extra seconds to check my wording would have been wiser.

It's difficult isn't it?

I look at others who do campaigning tweets and updates and draw in a sharp breath.... do I come across like that? Sadly I probably do.

But here's the problem - there are things I want to campaign about in a Godly and wise way. There are times I want to gently correct unthinking behaviour - for the benefit of others. But I find, on social media in particular, my voice can come across as harsh and abrasive. In can be the same in emails too.

This in turn makes me want to stop speaking up - I desperately don't want to hurt or offend people. I really am a hypersensitive gentle soul! But if I don't speak up, who will? Will the things I'm speaking up about change if I don't?

On Thursday I put out a status update that said:
"I'm reticent to keep on about disability awareness - 'cos I'm passionate about so many more things. But when I do it's usually NOT about me."

My friends were kind and referred to me as a "Prophetic Voice", encouraging me to keep speaking out - Thankyou!

But I want to be accountable - If I come across as unnecessarily abrasive, then (gently!) call me out.
Help me to speak out against pain and injustice with a clear but Godly voice.
And if you can - join me in speaking out with that same Godly voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.