Sunday 22 November 2015

We Found Out Who Our Friends Are

Well that's a strange blog title.... 

Most will see it as negative (Which sadly brings more blog readers) but I actually meant it as a positive title.

Over the past few months, we’ve discovered who our friends are….. and there were more than we could imagine.

We have been loved and supported well through what has been a difficult season.

On our ministry blog, I posted a plea for prayer as lots of things started to hit us - actually, more than I put there or here.

It’s been tough - some of it for very good reasons: Our house was in chaos due to major building work to make the house more Kay friendly - a lovely downstairs loo and shower room (That Hubby keeps calling my boudoir!) and a more accessible kitchen that is a dream to use.

But the
Kitchen Now In Use
building work has meant no freezer for 8 weeks (no ice-packs for pain relief) and no washing machine for 6 weeks, and having to work in the caravan because it was more accessible than the house during the day. 

Another view of the kitchen!

All this building work was made possible by Steve cashing in a pension fund, some saved inheritance, and a gift from a charity that was closing down.

Another reason was not so good: A letter from the DWP arrived, asking me to apply to change from DLA to PIP (despite being given an indefinite DLA award 4 years ago). The process you have to go through is not easy - a long form - hand written (Which I can’t do!) followed by a home assessment. It’s a demeaning and dehumanising process I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. We still haven’t heard if we have it or not, but to lose it would be a massive blow for us, not just financially but for my independence too. We would cope - just, but it will make life a lot harder and mean I can’t afford the accessibility gadgets that help me everyday. We would also lose my biggest lifeline - my car. The decision is currently in the hands of the DWP who make their decision not only on your level of disability, but on whether you have used the right words in your application….. (Cynical I know, but that is how it appears).

I also had numerous deadlines to meet that I missed, because the time I had set aside to write I had to use to fill out forms, gather supporting evidence, see the doctor, fit in physio appointments, and chase around trying to find an agency willing to help me refine what I’d put in the forms. It was a total miracle that we managed to get appropriate help in time (The DWP give you 4 weeks to return the forms…. and they take a week of that time to arrive)

I still haven’t met my deadlines, I’m exhausted, and my body is protesting wildly. I need to sleep, but pain is keeping me awake.  I need to read stuff, but my eyes won’t let me.

But, we’ve found out who our friends are, and we are blessed with many. They have given us meals, lent us their homes, let us do washing and stood with us in prayer.

I have bored my Facebook friends witless with photos and updates on the building work - but bless them, they have liked each posting and made encouraging comments without any complaint of “enough already!”
My New Favourite Place
My twitter friends haven’t had to endure this to same same degree - be thankful!

But the building work is now complete - we had a great builder who project managed to whole process, and all the different people who had to come in to do all sorts of things. They did their best to make it as painless as possible. All that remains is a lot of painting for hubby to do(!)


So, to all who have been with us in prayer, supported us, fed us, and lent us their homes - Thankyou. We love you and appreciate you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.